Re: rants and rambles

Stephen D Reindl <sreindl@apci.net> shamlessly rambles:
> Playing this morning I learned several things.
>
> lpd will not work when you rename localhost to something other than
> localhost. Seems basic but when it can't find a localhost IP it won't print.
> Lesson learned?  Don't do that! I couldn't get my jetdirect to work. I wonder
> why? All is fine now. I can print to my network printer now! YeeHaa!
>
> Webmin is a wonderful tool. I know all you command line only dorks are gonna
> kringe, but I don't care. If I play with it enough I'll finally gain an
> understanding of the file and directory structure and maybe my feeble mind
> will actually recall the locations and contents of all the different config
> files. It's all there at my fingertips. All I need is a table capable browser
> and the URL http://localhost:10000 and the root password and I'm in, even
> from my normal user account. I think it's kinda cool, so there. Found a few
> things that I didn't know were there. OBTW, Webmin will not install correctly
> when localhost isn't there either, hmmmm wonder why? Duh?!

There's a file in /etc called 'hosts'.  Windows has the exact same conventions
buried somewhere in \win(nt|dows)\system or \win(nt|dows)\system32.  Change
your hostname and add yourself in there with the changed hostname.  _*DO_NOT*_
remove the localhost entry!  I think the stock /etc/hosts in RH > 6.2 tells one
not to with the result of Bad Things happening Real Soon After.  Just change
your hostname the way you happened to do it (trivial), and do what I said
above.  'Nuff said here.

I'm stepping in on Webmin; likewise, I'm defying my father's rules.  I loathe
pretty web-based config interfaces to the point to where I won't use most of
them.  I like using commandline stuff or web based interfaces I write myself,
damnit.  It's still there at your fingertips in the commandline; you just have
to remember some real nasty commands and arguments however. :D

</rant,_or_is_it?>

I suggest you all pull my plug before I advance even further and go full out on
my Webmin rant.

Ich glaube, daß ihr sollt mein Netzstecker ziehen, vor ich vorrücke weiter über
meinem Webmin Wortschwall.  Spaß, ja?

--
Nate Reindl  <<  OTHS Web Mastah  <<  Resident Luser at Large
 '---> email:  alles gehen nach reindlnr bei apci dot net