Linux_Newbie/UNIX_Oldbie will PERL for food - or a Pentium mainboard

Hello, SILUG.

A friend of mine here at SIUC made me aware of your group. I very much want
to run Linux at home, but so far the saga has gone as follows:

1. dual-booted the home windoze box with a borrowed set of mandrake 8 cds -
something went terribly wrong with the partitions, and I spent a month's
free time putting the it back to rights - my wife was pretty aggravated that
I chose to "play" with the daily driver...

2. the next weekend, I decided a separate machine was a good idea. Didn't
have much lying around, but I built a 486sx2, 20mb RAM, 2.1gig HD - brought
home Red Hat 6.1 and 7.2 - 7.2 turned out to want a math-co, and the 6.1
media was defective.

3. Next weekend: plugged in the 486dx2 from eBay, burned some new Linux's -
Redmond Linux and Mandrake 7.2 - Redmond wanted a Pentium, so I loaded
Mandrake. It actually ran for an hour. Sorta. VERY slow. .1% CPU idle time,
and the old quantum fireball drive swap-filed itself to death. It actually
SCREAMED when then head mechanism gave up. Must've been on its last legs.

So. This has gotten personal. I WILL run Linux at home, and I WILL do it
with borrowed/stolen/cheap parts - it's the principle of the thing, you
know? I figure I either buy some 32mb 72-pin simms and find another old
drive and try to make the PB450 work (I TOLD you I was short on parts. :) ),
or I find a Pentium mainboard and start over.

Anybody got a Pentium and mainboard for sale?