Re: VI Tricks

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:48:07AM -0500, Flood Randy Capt AFCA/TCAA wrote:

> It's been my experience that vi rocks and that everyone that uses it seems to know at least one trick that I do not know that is really useful and cool.  So, if you use vi, please share some useful commands that I might not know.

I'm relatively new to vi, but since switching to mutt for my mail reader I've started to get used to using vi for a large portion of my editing.  Since I normally use OpenOffice.org swriter to do my word processing, I was looking for a way to "highlight" sections of text within vi (even pico can do that ...)

Sure enough ... you can turn on and off the "visual" status by hitting the "v" key.  After you have a section highlighted, you can perform editing commands to this section separately ... for example you can "yank" the section and then "paste" the section somewhere else ... I've seen Steve Pritchard do this faster with other commands, but I don't use vi enough yet to remember those arcane commands ;)

"visual" editing in vi ... great newbie tool.

jburke.