Re: New Computer for Linux OS

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Casey Boone wrote:

> hard drive: stay away from seagate unless its a seagate barracuda.  im a fan
> of western digital, but others like matrox.  you probably should stick with
> one of these 2 brands.

Matrox makes HDD now?  heh.  You mean Maxtor? :D

> sound card: sblive (as much as i absolutely hate creative labs and their
> inability to write decent stable drivers to save their lives)

Yup, I have one of these.  It works well with Linux.

> any keyboard and any mouse will do, stick with ps2 style though, less
> trouble usually (unless you just want that usb kb+mouse)

Get on ebay and get a Silicon Graphics PS2 keyboard.  They rule.  And
Logitech rules your mouse-using life.

> any ide cdrom drive will do: sony, mitsumi, creative

I've never had problems with any CDROM I've owned, so I don't have much
input here.

> i rather like 3com network cards, but realtek 8139 cards are also well
> supported.  im a big fan of netgear fa311 and fa312 but i honestly dont
> recall if they are supported under linux or not.

Netgear FA311 is supported, but requires the natsemi.c kernel module,
which can be found here:

http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

3com cards are good too.

> either go with an external modem (if you need one, i use a zoom v.92
> external on my dialout internet sharing box, works quite nice) or check
> www.linmodem.org (or .com or .net whichever it actually is) for modems to
> use.

USR external modems are very nice :D

Koree