File archiving questions

Hello!  Here's my situation:

I have a directory, called "a", that has 15,500 files in it.  The total bytes
stored in the directory (as computed by executing command "du -sk a" ) is
2.4GB.

I wish to store these files on CD-ROM's.  I want them stored as "files" on the
CD-ROM's.  (i.e., not in a .tar or .zip or whatever).

So... I figure I have to:
  1. Create a directory called "b".
  2. Copy about 650MB from "a" to "b".
  3. Create a .iso file by typing:
     mkisofs -o fred.iso -v -J -r b/
  4. Burn a cd by typing:
     cdrecord -v -eject dev=0,0,0 speed=12 fred.iso
  5. rm fred.iso
  6. rm -f b/*
  7. If there are still files left in "a", go to step #1.

Easy, huh?  My problem is in step #2, above.  What's an easy way to copy
files from "a" to "b" and have the command STOP after 650MB have been
transferred?  I've been doing it manually, and that's NOT fun!

Thanks!
Charlie Brune