Re: Strange httpd/access_log entry

Not meaning to start a war on the subject, but I think that if a machine
from another network tried to exploit one of my machines I should have
full right to investigate (port scan/finger/ftp/telnet) to gather enough
info to report the attack..

An unauthorized/unneeded port scan I see as a problem, but information
gathering based on anothers attack should be fair game and therefore not
breaking any rules...

Just my 2 cents..
Dav

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 13:36, Gary wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 02:14:16PM -0400 or thereabouts, William Underwood wrote:
> > Well, I dunno the answer, but me thinks it is failing, and then just
> > displaying your local hard drive instead of an error messsage...
> >
> > >Why is that. It is not illegal to nmap a strange host, in stealth mode
> > >or open..
> > Perhaps not illegal, but read section 2 of the AUP for mcleodusa:
> > http://www.mcleodusa.com/html/accept.php3
> > "2. Access to Other Networks. Any time you access another network through
> > the McLeodUSA Service, you must comply with that network's rules and
> > policies. "
> > So, did you ask PacBell if it's okay to portscan systems on their network?
>
> Better yet, what are PacBell's rules, which I could not find, and don't
> have any more time to look for it.. Heck, access to other networks,
> could mean any website...
>
> > Even if it's not illegal, it still isn't a good idea, IMO.
>
> I will defer to your thinking... However, nmap is a wonderful tool,
> especially when checking one's own site/ports.. which I do.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Gary

Dav Glass