Re: Strange httpd/access_log entry

He-heh, sorry.  I was just indicating that my comments were inline, as opposed to stuck at the top, or bottom, of my reply email.

>> >Can anyone help me out here...
>> >
>> >I found these entries, is someone trying to hack me?
>> Yes, but don't worry, they're looking for an unpatched MS IIS server
>
>Jerk
Eh... Probably either a script-kiddie, or a runaway bot...

>> >What is really weird is in a browser, if I type file://64.163.212.171/
>> >I get the entire listing for my HD
>> Is that your IP, or someone else's?  And is your client a Windows box, or Linux, or what?
>No, that is a pacbell address invader... not, mine...
Hmm.. Well, pacbell has a lot of DSL users, and that IP is one of them.  Chances are, it's some idiots box, totally unpatched, with a run away Nimda going...

>I'm using RH 7.2
Oooh.. you're sooo kewl!  ;-)  Do the browser and platform you're using support the file: protocol?

>This guy ain't too smart.. I did a cursory nmap on him
Neither is that... Never nmap a host that's not yours.. Just send your logs to pacbells security contact.

> and found a lot of ports open on him, including IRC.. a real no-no...
>
>What I cannot figure out is how, in Mozilla, if I type in
>
>file://64.163.212.171/
>
>I get a entire HD listing of my HD..
See my comment above...

>--
>Best regards,
>Gary
>
>Today's thought: Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.
Yeah, sure...

William

--
William Underwood