Re: LPI

Ahh, well anything you want to know about Linux certifications, I can
probably tell you :-)

I started with RHCE before ever looking at LPI, and I support both.
They're very complimentary. I was one of the SME (subject matter experts)
that consulted initially on the Linux+ project with Comptia, and I'll
support it too as a very user level entry certification, and it too is
complementary if you want a full learning path through Linux to become
certified.

	Linux + --> LPI
                   /   \
                RHCE   Other Distro Specific (possibility)

There's a cute ASCII chart for you about how they fit together. I included
Other because some distro companies are still playing around with modeling
their own product certs like Red Hat. However, product certifications are
much different than job based certifications, so they still all are very
complimentary.

For people who have experience (at any level) with Linux, I recommend
going ahead and starting with LPI's Level 1. If they have already gone the
Comptia + route (A-net +, Hardware +, etc) then adding one more module to
get Linux+ is an OK place to start too. I don't really recommend the Red
Hat program to individuals who are paying for their own certifications.
It's just too expensive, in general. It does carry weight with the big
corporations though, but if you already have Linux certification, those
organizations will likely invest in your going to Red Hat's programs, if
they wish for you to have it. (Everyone I know who's completed the RH
program has been sent by their company, except for me :-)

There are too many certification programs out there (and already a lot
within the Linux community have (or are) failed, or combined their program
to adopt LPI. (prosoft and another pro something for instance rolled into
LPI. SuSE and Mandrake rolled into LPI too)

Due to this overabundance of cert programs, their became the famous term
"paper cert". This refers to certification programs that don't have value.
Cert programs lose their value when they have brain-dumps on the web, or
can be passed by memorizing some set of answers from a book or training
program. It's really hard to develop a certification program that resists
this problem. That's why psychometric development methods are so
important. It's taken me a long time to understand that (let alone even
say it) but having been buried in this theology for the last 2 years, I
finally understand it :-)

I, for obvious reasons, think there is a great value in Linux
Certifications. As it grows in popularity as a requirement for jobs within
the community, the desire to be certified and have a certification entity
helps deliver a solution to the certification savvy corporate america who
bases their choices on this phenomonae. Some of it does really help build
the image of using Linux in corporate business and does give a competitive
edge against our "friend$". It's hard to explain, but for LPI, the goal
isn't just to have a certification, it's to provide an Institute for Linux
Professionals, a standards body, if you will, to support Linux' success.

I'll step off my soapbox now :-)

-Kara