From: silug-discuss-owner@silug.org
[mailto:silug-discuss-owner@silug.org]On Behalf Of Richard Fifarek
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 5:21 PM
To: silug-discuss@silug.org
Subject: Re: rpm auto get dependencies?

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Casey Boone wrote:

> is there any way to make rpm automatically download and install
> dependancies?

	Up2date, autorpm, and apt-get (for RH) are some packages.

> im trying to install the vsftpd rpm from the rh7.3 skipjack beta onto
redhat
> 7.1
>
> it needs libcap.so.1

libcap-1.10-5.i386.rpm (on 7.2)

[rfifarek@rfifarek rfifarek]$ rpm -qp --requires libcap-1.10-5.i386.rpm
/sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
ld-linux.so.2
libcap.so.1
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)

Nothing more than what most packages require :)

	The prevailing opinion on auto installation is that it is a
dangerous means of systems administration, because it isn't smart enough
to know what should and shouldn't be on the system.  That being said, a
sys admin with a large number of machines can't function without some tool
to automate updates/installs.  Of the three tools mentioned above, I've
only used autorpm (plan to get apt-get working), and I find it to be a
pretty good compromise.