Re: X server and windows

Kyle Krieg wrote:
> I only run SSH on my box, and SSH Secure Shell Client says
> you can start an X session, but I cat

From your "remote" Linux box, start X. Open an SSH session to the "home"
server (via an xterm, e.g.). On Linux, by default it should automatically
tunnel X traffic. If not, check the -X or +x options usage on the man page.

Then, in your "remote" ssh client session, run an X client program on the
"home" server. i.e. xterm or xclock. The program is running on the "home"
server, and sending the X traffic through the SSH tunnel to your "remote"
Linux box.

> I'm running windows 2000 on a machine on our network and would like to run
> an X session on top of windows 2000 from my linux server username.  I would
> also like to do this when I'm on the road, to pull up an X session from my
> linux box.

That's a different beast. You need to be able to run an X server on the W2K
box. There are commercial ones (Exceed/Hummingbird comes to mind) and then
there's the excellent Cygwin.

You can get precompiled XFree86 binaries for Cygwin. You can get ssh/sshd
for cygwin. Presto, an X server and a secure connection. In this setup,
the "home" server is the W2K box, and the rest is as previously described.

HTH, and good luck!

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"