Re: Thanks

> if you do make oldconfig will all your current settings be used?  i did a
> upgrade to 2.4.18 started it up and all the configurations that I had were
> gone.  think i used make xconfig.  at this point i did not know how to set
> my network back up.  So off we went to install the stock version again.
> Hope to learn how to set everything up as i go along. but i am enjoying
> myself so can't be all bad

Yeah, makeoldconfigshould sue the current settings.  If you haven't added
any kernel patches or anything that would affect the setup then you should
be fine.  If you need to look at the actual configu for your kernel take a
look into /usr/src/linux-foo where foo would be the kernel id (2.4.7 in
this case).  This will only be there if you installed the kernel sources
during theinstall I believe.  Steve or someone yelp if this is wrong.
Here are a couple of ideas for sanities sake that I use every once in a
while when I am going to play around with a test kernel.  Make a directory
called /dont-touch and then create a tar ball of /etc and /boot.  This can
be done with "cd /;tar cf /dont-touch/etcbootbackup.tar ./etc ./boot". By
doing this you can a copy of pretty much all of your configurations and a
copy of an uncorrupted kernel. :)

Tighe

--
Tighe		w00t		blumnky