around somewhere.  www.linuxdoc.org is always a good place to find those.

While I agree with Steve's statement about it not being a good idea for a
new user, I really think it's important to know how to compile a kernel.

#1 Pitfall (According to Koree):

Know what devices you have, and which modules/options you need for those
devices to work.  Last time I went through a kernel config, it took me
forever, because there are so many options.  But, be very patient.  If you
don't really pay attention, and you leave something out, you may be left
without network connectivity, etc.

Anyway, I strongly urge that you give it a try, but don't do it for the
first time on your production system.

Koree
____________________________________
Koree A. Smith  | Ameth Technologies
koree@koree.net | koree@ameth.org
     http://www.koree.net/

"With my feet upon the ground I move myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been."