Re: window manager salad

Bob Castleberry wrote:

> I did an install for my parents of lycoris linux this last weekend (used
> to be Redmond linux) and found out just how cool some of the features of
> the new kde are, I use windowmaker and have been wonderfully happy with
> it (I love to be able to configure my menu's using vi, and I hate start
> buttons) but I was wondering, is kde a WM or is it a desktop, what I
> mean is that I've been told that you can run gnome on top of
> windowmaker, so can you run kde on top of windowmaker and just do away
> with the start menu and "windows like" icons on the desktop that kde
> always want to kreate, just curious, btw does anyone else have any cool
> desktop config's, thanks
>
> Bob T. Kat

KDE is a desktop enviroment. That's what the D and E stand for. Another
window manager you should check out is AfterStep, it is very similar to
Window Maker. It's very stable and fast, and development is happening on a
new version. It's nowhere near done, but it's gonna be very good, there is
an imaging library that comes with it that can outperform imlib in some
cases, worth checking out.

-Eric