Scandisk for Linux?

Every once in a while, I run "scandisk" on my Windows machines.  If I'm feeling
particularly saucy, I'll even run scandisk in the "thorough" mode, where it will
test the hard drive for bad sectors.

-- Is there an equivalent program in Linux?

-- Is Linux continuously monitoring the health of my hard drive?

-- If Linux finds bad sectors, does it indicate that in a file somewhere.

The reason I ask is that I had a hard drive die recently and I'm still
traumatized.  It got to the point where scandisk would actually lock the machine
up.  8-(

Regards,
Charlie