Re: Dial in solution need advice

I have always had problems with setting up dial-in PPP in getting the
routing to work correctly. For example I right now have a 7.1 box which is
correctly answering and I can log in just fine. I can also get pppd
started up, and the dial-in client correctly gets the assigned ip, but
routing past the ip of the ppp device doesn't work.

The PPP HOWTO says to use "proxyarp" in the /etc/ppp/options file and one
won't need routing if it is just a single client going into the server
(just like I have), but this never works.

Each time I've done this successfully in the past I've either (a)done
something stupid and broken the box, (b) changed distributions [see (a)],
or (c) eventually lost a disk, and I never remember the step that made it
work. This time I'm setting it up on a machine which is not on my desktop
so I can at least avoid the stupidity (I hope).

eks

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 06:27:10PM -0600, Jason Smith wrote:
> > I'm just wondering if I've left anything out, which I probably have and
> > if anyone had recommendations about what kind of modem card to use and
> > which software packages would work best and any other advice you might
> > have.
>
> I had good luck some number of years ago (at least four now) with a
> crappy old ISA Digiboard, some external USR Couriers, and a default
> configuration of mgetty on Red Hat (4.2 at the time, I think).  It is
> *totally* painless.
>
> If you want to support 56k dial-in, you need some specialized
> equipment (ISDN PRI card + DSP, Spellcaster used to sell one), but
> other than that it should be just as simple.
>
> Steve
> --
> steve@silug.org           | Southern Illinois Linux Users Group
> (618)398-7360             | See web site for meeting details.
> Steven Pritchard          | http://www.silug.org/

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/