Re: perl->AWK!

I guess to clarify, using your suggestions instead of awk (which I hope to
avoid) I used the Net::Telnet module to telnet to a radius server and I was
successful at logging in. From that server I want to parse a colon
delimited file that is being written real time at a rate to fast to read
for customer login failures for troubleshooting.  At that point I'd like to
use Perl  to extract the data and save it to a file on my local machine.
Perl isn't installed on the remote server and I'm having trouble executing
Perl commands while in this mode. It may be something as simple as using
(cmd) documentation is sketchy.  Thanks for any help.