Re: looking for a solution...

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, David A. Glass wrote:

> you could run an SMNP daemon on the server and use MRTG to grab the info from
> the ethernet card. you could also run MRTG on a switch off of the router or
> on the router itself.

	Yeah, but that doesn't get him the specific traffic info he needs,
that just gets him the total traffic.

	The only way to do this not on the router that I'm aware of is to
have your switch do port mirroring (of just the router or the entire
network) so that all traffic is mirrored on one port (typically a GigE
port is needed to handle it all), and have the machine on that port do all
the monitoring.  Look at www.inmon.com or www.q1labs.com for some
commercial vendors.

	One other potential way to do this would be some VLAN trick that
would redirect all traffic, but I don't know enough about VLANs to say for
sure.  Or maybe that's what port mirroring is, some VLAN function.

	Regarding the throttling, that would have to be supported by the
router.  One kludge would be to setup TCP congestion notifications that
are tied to a particular service, but that would cause the client machine
to throttle everything, not just the service that you were concerned with.