Re: How destructive is upgrade?

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Flood Randy Capt AFCA/TCAA wrote:

> In general upgrades do not destroy your existing system at all.  I've

	One caveat, RedHat's "upgrade" feature, while it has gotten
better, is still BUGGY.  This particularly applies to "non-standard
hardware" and configurations.  Upgrading from 6.1 to 7.2 is a pretty major
step, so expect problems.  To protect data, note which partition has the
most important stuff (or rather move all the important stuff to a
partition), and then remove that partition from your 6.1 config
(/etc/fstab) so that RedHat ignores it during the upgrade (you do have
seperate partitions, right?).  Then get the system working after the
upgrade, and slowly work the important stuff back in.  Good luck.

> I'd recommend backing up anything that is important before an upgrade.

	This is the best policy no matter what you do, but moreso when you
do things like automated upgrades. </soapbox>