Re: room

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> This paragraph pretty much summarizes my whole argument wrt problems with
> SILUG. "Officers" and charters make no difference if the individuals won't
> take responsibility for their commitments. Complaints and suggestions
> don't make a difference if the complainers and suggestion-ers won't take
> action on their vocalizations.

I'm guilty of this to an extent, but at the same time the decision to host
a LUG site on BSD was given without good reason and cause.  OTOH, up until
the webserver fiasco I was fairly active... I saw to it that the list was
aware of events going on within NLUG, started a "this month in NLUG
history" ala LWN's page, and have organized maddog's upcoming visit on top
of everything else I did in the group.  I was in part elected to my
position for some of those activities (meeting reminders, B and P FAQ and
other misc ramblings on the list or on my site).  I tried and tried to
force the people behind the switch to take it to the people and they
snubbed em.

I agree though with your statement.  Linux is what you make of it.  If you
don't like it, do something about it.  I'm sure Mike808 is going to
appreciate what I'm about to quote:

You didn't pay for it, so don't expect magic.

From the Xastir README.

I've taken the approach that you've stated Kara.  It's paid off in several
rewarding projects or pieces of documentation.  In some cases I turn those
issues around in a day, sometimes it's a month.  Sometime's it's just pure
inspiration when it happens... other times it takes awhile before the
pieces fall into place.

THe main reason for stepping down as VP was the fact that I did not want
to be seen as supporting the decision.  More than anything I was upset
that the group was given no voice in the decision (sounds like the govt,
eh?)  and likewise, the fact that as an officer I was not informed of when
the switch happened made me question whether or not this was a
group of people I wanted to be involved with.  Likewise, I'd be the odd
man out.  I've beat my head against the wall plenty of times in
life... something I contribute time to is not something I want to beat my
head against.  I made my point with the group and decided it was best in
the long run to move onto other things.

Remember, at the end of the day it should be fun.  Linux is fun.  I love
Linux.  I get giddy thinking about the fact that I'm useing a FreeOS with
Free tools that allow me to do Free things.  What more can one want in
life?  (aside from personal relationships).

> PS. Sean, I have to ask, where do you buy all the spare time to be so
> active on all these lists? It seems you are everywhere :P

Yeah... I wonder that myself.  And no procmail either.  I'm an email
junkie.  It should be interesting to see what happens if @home pulls the
plug tonight.  And I saw some incredible speeds tonight on my cable modem.

I'm not sure what other lists you know that I'm on, but I think I've found
every LUG in TN.  It's amazing the traffic some of them generate (or lack
of therefore).  And word on the street is that fellow in Jackson TN is
working on starting a LUG.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon