Re: cheap TiVo

Flood Randy Capt AFCA/TCAA wrote:
> Mabey you guys could hack into the Tivo and use use it to digitize
> video...  Wasn't Kara interested in that? :)

Well, it actually has a "record to VHS" playback mode and it's pretty darned
good.

I'm burning an episode of Enterprise (#9) that I captured from such a VHS.
However, the current formats other than DVD pretty much suck. SVCD is as
good as it gets, and even then it's 480x480. And putting letterbox on that
drops the image portion down to 480x256 (from 704x366).

However, I have to say, VirtualDub totally rocks, even though it runs on
that other OS. But it is GPL, and I sent the guy some scooby snacks.
It has some *amazing* filters. Conditional and logoaway are my current
favorites. You should see how good it looks without the stupid WB11
logo over the whole thing and that even more annoying "BLUES HOCKEY
WILL PRE-EMPT ENTERPRISE NEXT WEEK. GUESS WHEN IT WILL BE ON...." that
they can't manage to crawl down in the *letterbox* area. I'm figuring out
how to use the DeLogo filter, which looks even better than logoaway,
but is waaaaay more complicated.

I can put up two of the resulting SVCD MPEG clips (17M/18M) if anyone is
interested in the results of this educational exercise.

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"