Re: linux.com (probably OT, was Re: SourceForge drifting (?))

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 01:56:05AM -0600, Mike808 wrote:
> > Sean /The RIMBoy/ wrote:
> > > I've got two other bylines, however, those links are now 404 since VA
> > > decided *not* to hold up their end of the deal and screw over the
> > > community with the community run Linux.com.
> >
> > Huh? So you're a victim of Link Rot. Join the club. I don't know anything
> > about any "deal" with Linux.com, and this is the first you mention it.
>
> The whole point of VA buying linux.com was to set up a
> community-oriented site.

That is how a few others and myself recounted it, Unfortunately trying to
search for the exact details on the bill of sale for linux.com is like
trying to find the veritable needle in a haystack.

>  Of course, then they made some extremely
> poor choices hiring managers for the site and let it turn into a
> complete joke while bleeding money before finally just making it
> another (theoretically) for-profit Andover^WOSDN site.

I'll agree that there were some problems.  I think within the last year
those issues were resolved and moreso, within the last 6 months the
quality and quantity of site improved quite a bit (also, a massive site
redesign which that IMO really kicked arse).  Just when the ball was
rolling they pulled the rug out.  And to think, I wrote a glowing article
about the guy behind our screwing.

> I suppose all of that is their (bad) decision to make, but you'll have
> to excuse a little distrust and dislike from those of us who were
> volunteers.

You and me both, and quite a few other staff members.

Sean...

--
Believing I had supernatural powers, I slammed into a brick wall.
	--Paul Simon