Re: Switching X configs

Steve Reindl said:
> Just had one of those rare brain dumps. How about a shell script to
> swap config files before starting X, depending on which one I want to
> use

Like this?  (I'm using -xf86config in the example, but you could just
as easily swap config files with "ln -sf" or something.)

#### Begin shell script ####
#!/bin/sh

clear
cat << END

Which configuration would you like?

    1) Standard configuration (default)
    2) Alternate configuration

END
printf 'Your choice: '
read CHOICE

case "$CHOICE" in
    ""|1)
	exec startx
	;;
    2)
	exec startx -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-alt
	;;
    *)
	echo 'Invalid selection!'
	exit 1
	;;
esac
#### END ####

Of course, if you wanted to be really silly, and you happen to have
dialog installed, you could do something like this:

#### Begin shell script ####
#!/bin/sh

dialog --title 'X startup' \
       --defaultno \
       --yesno 'Use alternate configuration file?' 10 30

STATUS=$?

if   [ "$STATUS" -eq 0 ] ; then
    exec startx -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-alt
elif [ "$STATUS" -eq 1 ] ; then
    exec startx
else
    # User aborted by pressing ESC.
    exit 1
fi

(And just think, all of that without one line of Perl.  ;)

(618)398-7320             | See web site for meeting details.