Switching X configs

Just had one of those rare brain dumps. How about a shell script to swap config files before starting X, depending on which one I want to use, you know

read choice
if it's this choice
if the other one exists change it to this one and start X
or else start X

if it's the other choice
if this one exists change it to the other one and start X
or else start X

Do'oh!
Stephen D. Reindl
I'm scaring myself. It's like that 386SX-16 I bought in 1991 with no OS installed and opted to put DR-DOS 5.0 on it (the original anti-MS rebel that I am) got it installed and sat there thinking "now what? This certainly isn't like my Commodore 64". Does this mean I'm having flashbacks?