O'Reilly Releases "DNS and Bind, 4th Ed" (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Denise Olliffe -----

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:48:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo@oreilly.com>
To: steve@silug.org
Subject: O'Reilly Releases "DNS and Bind, 4th Ed"

For immediate release
April 27, 2001

O'REILLY RELEASES NEW EDITION OF DE-FACTO BIBLE ON "DNS AND BIND"
COVERS BIND 9, NEW STANDARDS, SECURITY, AND MORE

In the just-released fourth edition of the bestselling "DNS and BIND"
(O'Reilly, US $44.95), authors Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu once again
unravel the intricacies of DNS and BIND for network and system
administrators and all others who manage zones and name servers.  Most
Internet users require no more than a slight familiarity with DNS, the
Domain Name System, on which they rely each time they use email or surf
the Web. Yet DNS and BIND are the fundamental building blocks of the
Internet as we use it, and establishing and maintaining a workable DNS
configuration is an increasingly complex task with which system
administrators wrestle regularly.

"DNS and BIND" was the first book to be devoted to the topic of DNS and
has long been considered the de-facto "bible" on the subject. According
to author Cricket Liu, the fourth edition introduces more new material
than any previous edition. Says Liu, "The IETF (Internet Engineering
Task Force) has been working hard to add new features and functionality
to DNS, including dynamic update, NOTIFY, incremental zone transfer,
transaction signatures, the DNS Security, and support for IP version 6.
And, consequently, the Internet Software Consortium has put an enormous
amount of work into a brand new version of BIND, BIND 9, which supports
all the new IETF standards. This book covers the new DNS standards, as
well as BIND 9."

The new edition of "DNS and BIND" thoroughly covers both BIND 8 and 9,
and includes a chapter on security to help administrators secure their
names servers and zone data, as well as a long section on Windows 2000.
Security is a timely topic, explains Liu, in view of recent, increasing
attacks on BIND name servers.

Authors Albitz and Liu are among the foremost experts on DNS and BIND.
Paul Albitz is a software engineer for Hewlett-Packard, and has ported
BIND to HP-UX. Cricket Liu is a former hostmaster of hp.com, one of the
largest domains on the Internet. He is now Director of DNS Product
Management for VeriSign Global Registry Services.

"DNS and BIND, 4th Edition" is essential reading for all administrators
involved with DNS on a daily basis or anyone with an interest in DNS
and how the Internet works.

What critics and readers said about previous editions:

"To learn more about DNS Configuration, the best book around is 'DNS
and BIND' from the O'Reilly nutshell series."--Laura Wonnacott,
"Infoworld," Feb 5, 2001

"I have been using it on an almost daily basis. This is an excellent,
educational, USEABLE book. I recently got a job at an ISP, and it seems
like 75% of my work revolves around DNS. I really need to learn and
know DNS and BIND. DNS problems are often subtle and difficult to track
down, and I am using this book on a daily basis to help me learn my
job. A big 'Thank you' to Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu."--DocFilter,
Dec 2000

"Yet another great book from O'Reilly! 'DNS and BIND' went way beyond
my needs, providing a complete reference. As all O'Reilly books, 'DNS
and BIND' is written in a logical and organized manner. All concepts
are clearly explained, with no shortage of diagrams, and configuration
examples are plentiful...a very useful resource that I recommend to
anyone twisted enough to have more than a passing interest in DNS and
BIND."--Jamie Susitna, Linux Users Group, Dec 2000

"This is one of the first books I had in my collection and is perhaps
the best work O'Reilly ever published. 'DNS and BIND' is written about
the BIND (UNIX) version of DNS but much of the info pertains to both
the NT and the UNIX versions. You will find many examples to show you
how things should be set up. Even a beginner can quickly become a DNS
expert after reading this book."--www.mcseguide.com, March 2000

"I consider this book to be essential documentation for anybody who is
responsible for a domain."--Adrian Wontroba, "C Vu," September 1997

"If you're going to set up a DNS Server, save yourself some headaches
and get yourself a copy of the definitive book of the subject, 'DNS and
BIND.'"--"Windows Sources," February 1995

Chapter 11, "Security," is available free online at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html

An article by the author may be found at:
http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/dnsandbind_0401.html

For more information about the book, including Table of Contents,
index, author bio, and samples, see:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

For a cover graphic in jpeg format, go to:
ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/graphics/book_covers/hi-res/0596001584.jpg

DNS and BIND
By Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu
4th Edition, April 2001
ISBN 0-596-00158-4, 601 pages, $44.95 (US)
order@oreilly.com
1-800-998-9938
http://www.oreilly.com

# # #

O'Reilly is a registered trademark of O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. All
other trademarks are property of their respective owners.