Re: A modest proposal

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, James L. Burke wrote:

> My name is Jim Burke.  I'm new to the group

Welcome Jim... I'm Sean.  I'm originally from the area but now reside in
Nashville TN.

> Our law office is in the process of switching to an entirely Open Source IT
> Solution.

Wow.  How many others in the industry are doing what you are doing?  I
only ask because this is the first I have heard of a legal office going
this route.  What made you and your associates come to this
decision?  (besides the licensing issues and pitfalls you get with MS
based products)

>  We are using "thin clients" and LTSP (www.ltsp.org) to run everyone
> from one main server (currently running Red Hat 6.2).

I was recently turned on to LTSP.  While I have not used it, it definately
can breathe new life into older hardware.  Funny, LTSP was created for use
in a hospital.  Now a law firm is using it.  Wow!

> It has been very
> challenging to make this work, but I'm already seeing the benefits of using
> Open Source solutions.

Do tell!

> I'm excited about what we've done in our office with Linux and I want to be a
> part of SILUG to learn what other "cool stuff" can be done.

Like the rest of us on this list.  LUG's are a great resource.  My
skillset jumped dramatically when I was finally able to start attending
our local LUG meetings.

> I'm already a part of too many "civic" organizations with committee meetings
> and banquet dinners and endless fundraisers ... I realize I may not get a vote
> 'cause I'm so new to the group, but I really just want to "do cool stuff with
> Linux."  I'll even buy the first round at the next happy hour (you do have
> happy hours, don't you?).

I dunno, but in NLUG, we have what is called the Beer and
Pizza.  Basically someone says B&P, suggests a date, and we wrangle from
there.  Matter of fact, it came to the point where we needed a FAQ:

www.rimboy.com/bandp

> Lastly, if SILUG does intend to be a more formal entity and seek not-for-profit
> status I would be willing to assist if the group wants my help.

This is exactly the type of contribution LUG's and Open Source in general
need.   We recently had a thread on the NLUG list about giving back to the
community.  One member felt like he had not done his share.  When I sat
down, figured out, and posted Joey's contributions he realized that in
fact what he did not consider a contribution was in fact worthy to the
group.  For the record he has been an extra hand at installfests, was the
main star in an installfest ad we put together for our local Cable TV
provider, and being that he is a music industry type provides a good vibe
whenever he shows up. (good vibes go a long way in the music industry)

While I'm not sure where SILUG stands on this issue, NLUG recently went
thru this.  Needless to say, if we had an attorney in the house we would
have had our "contributions worth".

> attorney and a CPA and I focus my practice in business law.  I probably wont be
> contributing much on the technical side, but I'd be happy to help were I can
> (which is on the legal/accounting side).  If the group decides they need to
> become a not-for-profit entity, I'm sure I can be of assistance.  Of course, in
> the spirit of Open Source ... I'd be happy to provide any assistance I can at
> no cost.
>
> Looking forward doing cool stuff with Linux ...

Sounds like you are.  Welcome aboard.  I've been with this ride for ~3
years now.  Needless to say I don't regret the decision, despite the
learning curve.  Sounds like you've made it over a couple of hurdles and
are well on your way.

Cheers!

--
Sean...
A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.