Re: Network problem

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, James Buitt wrote:

> Yes, it has done this continually since Linux was installed on the machine,
> which was last week.  I also thought it could be an inactivity timeout at
> first but it has disconnected me while I was in the middle of typing
> something several times.

Ouch... that is never good.  Coming to think of it, I was experiencing
this same type behavior on a machine today.  I don't remember it happening
yesterday though.  Must be extra bogons in the air.

> This is a system on campus.  I have tried from other machines on campus on
> same subnet and with machines off campus all with the same results..

Well, that rules out quite a bit.

> >BTW, what type of security install did you do?
>
> I installed using the Medium security setting

What I've been doing on all my systems.

> Thank you for your help..  I also have iptables installed and several rules
> in place but I have tried with and without the rules in place resulting in
> the same problem.  Any other information you need to know?

Nah... those are the basics.  Unfortunately I'll have to see if the system
at work is in fact doing the same thing.  I usually chock it up to the
flaky network we have (you really don't want to know.  Let's put it this
way... we still have 10base2 thick and of course... LAT).

Hmmm. sorry I could not be more help.

--
Sean...
A flute with no holes is not a flute.  A donut with no hole is a danish.