Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:20:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: KoReE <koree@squishy.ameth.org>
To: SILUG <silug-discuss@silug.org>
Subject: Crash Course in IRC Clients (was Re: SILUG: IRC server)

Okay, you have to have a client to use the server.  It's really very
simple.  The problem is using the client once you're in.  I've put a
client on my ftp site.  ftp.ameth.org:/pub/irc/clients/unix/.  The one you
wanna grab is ircii2.8.2-EPIC3pre3.1.tar.gz.  This is a source
distribution (I'm working on a binary distribution).  It's a very simple
compile, though.  Unpack it, cd into the dir it creates, run
"./configure", then run "make all", then run "make install" (could
probably skip the "make all" and go straight to "make install").  After
you get all of this done, just type "irc your_nickname_of_choice
irc.silug.org" at your command line.  Then, to join channel #silug once
you're inside the client, type "/join #silug".  Then you'll be able to
just type whatever you want to add to our conversations.  BTW, I think
this would be a good topic for us to cover at the next meeting for a short
time.  I've been prepared to do this for the last 3 or so meetings, but no
one's been there to hear :D  Would anyone else like to discuss using the
IRC?

Koree

Koree A. Smith  | Co-Administrator, Ameth.org
koree@Ameth.org | http://www.ameth.org/~koree
NT != *IX       | I Corinthians 2:1-5

----- End of forwarded message from KoReE -----

Also, FWIW, Red Hat has come with vanilla ircii for a while now.  It's
quite likely you've got it installed if you are running Red Hat.  Do a
"rpm -q ircii" to find out if you have it installed.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month